Minimum Requirements for TYPO3 v9

[quote=“helhum, post:38, topic:149, full:true”]
All boils down to this right? But, if a new TYPO3 version does not bring noticeable added value, why would you want to upgrade?

And, if you insist on stable, long term support software, why would you want to run old unsupported software (PHP) on the one hand, but latest software (TYPO3) at the same time?[/quote]
The thing is that at the time of now, PHP 7.0 isn’t old and unsupported. For Debian users, will be new at the time when Debian 9.0 (Stretch) will be released. It will be supported until ~June 2020 (~June 2022 for LTS). See next point…

[quote=“helhum, post:38, topic:149, full:true”]
If you focus on enterprise and stability, just stay on 8ELTS, which support ends first quarter of 2022! At this point in time PHP 7.0 support expired for almost 2 years.[/quote]
It won’t expire before ~June 2022 (same like TYPO3 8 ELTS) for Debian Stretch users.

But the thing is: TYPO3 has a 1.5 year release cycle, while Debian has 2 years and RHEL has 3-4 years.

That means, if you want to start a project in May 2017 on one of these platforms, then you will need to to use a TYPO3 version (7.6 LTS) which is not the latest version and will be EOL in 3.5 years (with ELTS, otherwise it’s just 1.5 years).

Even worse: If RHEL is a must (see the example that Lukas @rtp-lru reported) then he would need to launch with TYPO3 6.2 because RHEL7 only ships with PHP 5.4 (according to DistroWatch).

I would prefer PHP 7.1 solely for the nullable types and being to convert more code of the core to strict mode.
I can also see the argument for sticking to version 7.0 due to Distribution support.
IMHO distribution should be a low level reasoning at best, given that the people affected by it are either making a conscious decision to run (and going by examples pay for) a distribution that is supported for extremely long time. Which implies they could easily afford a ELTS version that matches their OS requirements and desire for long term support.

Regarding the MySQL Version there’s nothing in 5.6, 5.7 or 8.0 which TYPO3 urgently needs. 5.6 would allow full text indexes on InnoDB tables which would be nice for indexed search and make some hackery irrelevant, 5.7 is great if we actually want to enforce proper SQL statements, but that could be achieved by setting SQL modes.
So I would currently stick to MySQL 5.5 because there’s not single killer feature in newer versions.

I need to ask again: Who set the minimum requirement to MySQL 5.5 in the existing version, and where does TYPO3 really depend on that? According to Doctrine docs, the requirement is either 5.0 or 5.7…

The next paragraphs are going to be blunt and outspoken. These words represent my personal opinion and are not related to me being a core team member

I have no clue why we are discussing support for MySQL 5.0. For all intents and purposes that version is dead to the world. There’s not a single platform besides Solaris 10 that’s not EOL where these versions are even supported by Oracle (check https://www.mysql.com/support/supportedplatforms/database.html).

Given that situation and the non-availability of platforms where this MySQL Versions can still be installed, how would you expect to support such a platform? Even if TYPO3 might not use any feature of MySQL 5.5+ we still need to be able validate our claim that TYPO3 works on that MySQL version. That’s a hard thing to do when not a single OS/DBMS combination is readily available for MySQL 5.0.
MySQL 5.5 is the oldest version of MySQL that’s still supported and readily available on (supported) OS platforms.

Supporting a database just because the 3rd party DBAL component we are using supports it is madness. By implication that would mean that we support TYPO3 on DBMS like SQLanywhere, SQlite or DB2 just because Doctrine has a driver for them.

Regarding your question on who decided on the version: Somebody is probably able to dig it up from some meeting notes but I honestly question the value of wasting time on investigating that.

1 Like

@mjonuschat you’re probably right. Discussing 5.0 support feels unnecessary, and we just decide to “stick with whatever we decided whysoever 7ys ago”. MySQL 5.5 became available in 2010!

@stucki I don’t know how set it but I seriously cannot remember the time we decided for 5.5 which means that was a very long time ago (remembering MySQL 3.23 ;))

Btw: There is one advantage / change that is important for 5.5 => “InnoDB by default”, meaning that we don’t need to explicitly set tables to InnoDB for tables anymore that did not set the property right.

Plus: That was only a question of mine, but not I propose or push forward, in the last 4ys I did not have a single request about the MySQL minimum requirement for TYPO3.

@stucki @benni Google remembers everything: https://forum.typo3.org/index.php?t=msg&goto=710248

1 Like

Haha, nice. Thank you. Seems that it really did not matter back then to raise it there… (also no reason to do so as well)

This topic was automatically closed after 17 days. New replies are no longer allowed.