The database table
tx_extensionmanager_domain_model_extension holds all extensions with every version information since the beginning of the TER. This means that there are more than 41500 entries.
That leads to 2 performance issues we all know:
- The update in the extenison manager takes endless because the XML which is fetched from typo3.org is large and the parsing takes also quite a while.
- The database table is on many installations the biggest ones with about 30mb.
I propose to drop old entries to improve the performance.
There are different possibilities
- Drop all entries all entries which have a last update information before 26th January 2011 which is the release of 4.5.0. That would reduce the size by 50%.
- Drop all entries before 25th march 2014 which is release of 6.2. which would reduce the size by 75%.
- Provide a dynamic solution: Downloads from a TYPO3 8.7 would only download all versions which would be compatible to current LTS minus one (to able to force download of outdated versions), that would mean 7.6.
It would not be possible to download any older versions within the extension manager.
Topic Initiator: Georg Ringer