The database table
tx_extensionmanager_domain_model_extension holds all extensions with every version information since the beginning of the TER. This means that there are more than 41500 entries.
That leads to 2 performance issues we all know:
- The update in the extenison manager takes endless because the XML which is fetched from typo3.org is large and the parsing takes also quite a while.
- The database table is on many installations the biggest ones with about 30mb.
I propose to drop old entries to improve the performance.
There are different possibilities
- Drop all entries all entries which have a last update information before 26th January 2011 which is the release of 4.5.0. That would reduce the size by 50%.
- Drop all entries before 25th march 2014 which is release of 6.2. which would reduce the size by 75%.
- Provide a dynamic solution: Downloads from a TYPO3 8.7 would only download all versions which would be compatible to current LTS minus one (to able to force download of outdated versions), that would mean 7.6.
- Better performance
It would not be possible to download any older versions within the extension manager.
Topic Initiator: Georg Ringer