This thread is to gather feedback and advise in the currently ongoing process of converting TYPO3's caching framework to use a PSR-6 implementation, as well as improve the caching framework API and behavior. The current status of this work can be seen at https://forge.typo3.org/issues/81432 and is divided into neat little sub-tasks, some of which can and are being done separately and benefit us regardless of the PSR-6 migration.
The article is rendered as Gist over here, so please read it there - but feel free to comment on the Gist or here, or both places, as you wish - I will of course read both.
What I'm looking for in this thread is:
- Possible flaws in the vision and strategy (not theoretical ones please, argue concrete use cases)
- Any experience you may have and want to add about real-life PSR-6 implementations.
- Your thoughts pro/con about the suggested strategy for deprecation
- Your thoughts on the chosen strategy for replacement (preserve frontend public contract, replace backends, use bridges)
- Advise you might have about the concrete implementation of the yielded features; standards we could adopt, interfaces that could make sense, API that I did not think of, and so on.
What I would like to avoid in this thread is:
- Opening a design by committee (please don't argue "I think it should be so and so instead" unless you have a real life use case that conflicts with the described choices)
- Focusing on specific details instead of how the bigger picture fits together (please consider all the yielded features along with the described choices for migration etc.)
- Edge case objections that are not based on real use cases
- Going into details about semantics in provided code examples or implementation details - please reserve this for the code review
The mic is yours!