I’d like to give you a rundown on my idea for redirects that should be handled natively within TYPO3 core.
In the process towards a good base for speaking URLs, the “sys_domain” record and its logic seems very odd to me - as it is right now, but the whole topic is a different one (e.g. different domains for an environment, 404 pages etc.). Right now, having multiple sys_domain records and 9 of 10 records a redirects to the main domain seems stupid and odd to me.
Then, we have extensions that do redirects already:
- realurl v1
- url_forwarding https://extensions.typo3.org/extension/url_forwarding/
- my_redirects https://extensions.typo3.org/extension/my_redirects/
- sg_routes https://extensions.typo3.org/extension/sg_routes/
- nawork_uri https://extensions.typo3.org/extension/nawork_uri/
Additionally, if we ever want to handle “I rename a page, but it should be available the next 90 days”, we would need proper redirects available handling that.
If SEO people come around and want short URLs, the core can do that.
A proper Backend module for handling redirects (to a page ID) + an efficient solution (so no additional SQL queries are made in FE, having everything in a cache) to deal with them should be shipped with the core.
I hereby propose to add a system extension “redirects” (part of factory default) with a backend modules with the most important features and a nice UI should be part of that.
Yes, for all the server fans, we can create a “Export as htaccess rules” button for apache and/or nginx, but the management part should be part of the Core.
- A new backend module in a new system extension “redirects” (luckily I have this extension key)
- Removing redirect logic from “sys_domain” (with an upgrade wizard)
- Upgrade wizard to install this extension, and to migrate sys_domain redirect records.
- sys_domain does not handle redirects anymore
- A good basis for dealing with renaming / deleting pages for Speaking URLs in the core
- A nice UX goodie for all marketeers
- Another core feature
Remarks and notes
I would actually add a new main module (“Marketing”) where “redirects” is anchored, and SEO-related functionality can be added as well later on.
Topic Initiator: Benni Mack
Topic Mentor: Benni Mack