I would like to discuss a cleanup concerning content elements and its fields. Moving some content element types & fields to a 3rd party extension would simplify the available options and less to hide, document, explain and maintain.
I would like to move the following elements:
- Divider (
- Bullet list (
- Text & images (
- The elements divider and bullet list haven’t been used since ages by myself. Bulletlist can be easily replaced by a regular text element.
- Text & images can be migrated to text & media
To simplify the daily usage of content elements I suggest to move the following fields of tt_content to a 3rd party extension:
- Layout (
- Frame (
- Space before (
- Space after (
- Append with links to top (
I am aware that having the fields “Layout” and “Frame” available is handy to apply additional CSS classes for styling. Nevertheless those fields are only useful if the integrator adds some values with a proper name and applies the correct CSS. By default the fields don’t add any value and makes it harder for beginners.
I am aware that many sites also don’t use the other elements like “text & media” because every use case is represented by its own content element which is created using e.g. mask, dce, flux or just plain TCA. Nevertheless I don’t want to discuss yet the plausibility of those elements.
- Would it be ok for you to move the content elements to a 3rd party extension?
- Would it be ok for you to move the fields to a 3rd party extension?
- If no, please explain