Our main working mode is using git.typo3.org for now, and Gerrit (review.typo3.org), but we mirror our repository in different places, e.g. on GitHub. Our mirror on GitHub is called “TYPO3.CMS” - this is for legacy reasons when we named packages with the namespace and the main package with a “.” when Flow and Neos was part of the TYPO3 namespace. This is how the naming happened in the first place (before it was “TYPO3v4” which was bad as well ).
I think it would be beneficial to rename the repository name. This takes away confusion and at the same time we can name it properly for newcomers to understand that this is our mono repository and not used for the actual composer packaging since we have our subtree split in place for 4+ years now.
The subtree split and the read-only repos have been proven stable, no change here for the time being.
Existing git.typo3.org infrastructure naming is kept for the time being, but that’s another story and not part of the discussion I want to kickstart here.
I’m open for suggestions about the naming (naming is hard, ya know), and I’m looking for more input. The current naming is “TYPO3/TYPO3.CMS” (Full URL https://github.com/TYPO3/TYPO3.CMS)
A few ideas:
- github.com/TYPO3/CMS (similar to the composer name in our mono-repo “typo3/cms” but even this could be changed if we change our naming, since it cannot be required by composer anymore)
- github.com/TYPO3/core (might be confusing with our subtree split package typo3/cms-core, and our system extension)
- We need to adapt a few places where we reference the GitHub repository currently, but that shouldn’t be a lot of work
- Since it’s not the main repository to work on, this shouldn’t affect a lot of people, especially not people in production.
- When we rename the repo, GitHub will keep the old URL and put redirects in place, so this should be safe for everyone using it right now
Topic Initiator: Benni Mack
Topic Mentor: Benni Mack